Tuesday, March 20, 2007

THE SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD

I will stand on the fact that there is nothing that happens that God does not know about, purpose and fulfill to bring Him ultimate Glory.

Cristina

What is God's remedy for dejection at apparent failure in our labours? This—the assurance that God's purpose cannot fail, that God's plans cannot miscarry, that God's will must be done. Our labours are not intended to bring about that which God has not decreed.
—Arthur W. Pink

Divine sovereignty is not the sovereignty of a tyrannical Despot, but the exercised pleasure of One who is infinitely wise and good! Because God is infinitely wise He cannot err, and because He is infinitely righteous He will not do wrong. Here then is the preciousness of this truth. The mere fact itself that God's will is irresistible and irreversible fills me with fear, but once I realize that God wills only that which is good, my heart is made to rejoice.
—Arthur W. Pink

There is a God in heaven who overrules all things for the best; and this is the comfort of my soul. --DAVID BRAINERD
The sovereignty of God is that golden sceptre in his hand by which he will make all bow, either by his word or by his works, by his mercies or by his judgements. Thomas Brooks

There has been a wonderful alteration in my mind, in respect to the doctrine of God's sovereignty, from that day to this...God's absolute sovereignty...is what my mind seems to rest assured of, as much as of any thing that I see with my eyes...The doctrine has very often appeared exceeding pleasant, bright and sweet. Absolute sovereignty is what I love to ascribe to God...God's sovereignty has ever appeared to me, a great part of his glory. It has often been my delight to approach God, and adore him as a sovereign God. --JONATHAN EDWARDS,

8 comments:

Candy said...

Hi there! I noticed you left me a comment at Pams blog about Pres Bush :) We have alot in common!! :)
Nice to "meet" you! I like your blog, I will look around a bit now...
Hugs to you,
Candy

Rick Frueh said...

A supermassive black hole is when a billion of our suns are compressed into an area the size of an orange. Incomprehendible!

But to understand the sovereignty of God is like trying to compress the totality of the Creator into a brain the size of a volleyball. Impossible! But just touching the hem of His garment is wonderous. God has been, is, and always will be in charge over all His creation. Praise His name!!

Anonymous said...

I think sovereignty of God is one of the most comforting attribute of God. Great quotes and I enjoye yours as well.

Baptist Girl said...

Hi Candy,
It is nice to meet you and thank you.


Amen Rick, He reigns. He is on the throne!

Hey Sarah,
Me too, we can rest in the fact that He is sovereign and there is nothing to fear as a child of His.

Cristina

Rita Loca said...

Knowing that He is sovereign, allows us to rest and trust HIM. Who would want a God who was not sovereign?

Sis. Julie said...

Thank you for coming to my site and leaving a comment. I will add you to my list of links if that is okay with you.

Baptist Girl said...

Hi Julie,
Nice to meet you. sure you can.

Cristina

Unknown said...

I rejoice that I trust in a Soveriegn God!