Sunday, May 11, 2008

MOTHERS

(Exo 20:12 NRSV) Honor your father and your mother, so that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you.
(Prov 23:22 NRSV) Listen to your father who begot you, and do not despise your mother when she is old.
(Prov 20:20 NRSV) If you curse father or mother, your lamp will go out in utter darkness.
(1 Tim 5:4 NASB) But if any widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to practice piety in regard to their own family, and to make some return to their parents; for this is acceptable in the sight of God.
(Mat 12:48-50 NRSV) But to the one who had told him this, Jesus replied, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" 49 And pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."



Home is the true wife's kingdom.

Very largely does the wife hold in her
hands, as a sacred trust, the happiness
and the highest good of the hearts that
nestle there. In the last analysis, home
happiness depends on the wife.

Her spirit gives the home its atmosphere.

Her hands fashion its beauty.

Her heart makes its love.

And the end is so worthy, so noble, so divine,
that no woman who has been called to be a wife,
and has listened to the call, should consider any
price too great to pay, to be . . .
the light,
the joy,
the blessing,
the inspiration,
of a home.

The woman who makes a sweet, beautiful home,
filling it with love and prayer and purity, is doing
something better than anything else her hands
could find to do beneath the skies.

A true mother is one of the holiest secrets of
home happiness. God sends many beautiful things
to this world, many noble gifts; but no blessing is
richer than that which He bestows in a mother who
has learned love's lessons well, and has realized
something of the meaning of her sacred calling.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy mother's day, Cristina! I hope you are feeling better! I've been pretty busy lately with everything so I have talked with you for awhile. Hope you had a great mother's day!

mark pierson said...

Happy Belated Mother's Day, Cristina!

jazzycat said...

Cristina,
Very well said and so true.

Baptist Girl said...

Thank you dear Sarah. I am on the mends, cold is still hanging on a bit, but I am feeling better each day and I did have a great mother's day, my dear children spoiled me. I hope to catch up on things this long weeked, I will email you then.

Dear Mark and Jazz, thank you both!

Cristina

Maxine said...

Indeed, it is a high calling. We can't do it without Christ.

Baptist Girl said...

maxine,
amen