Saturday, November 04, 2006

WHERE DO WE FIND OUR STRENGTH?

1 Samuel 30:6 And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God

When I think of strength I think of David. Here was a man who was pursued by King Saul, he barely escaped attempts on his life, he had to hide in the wilderness many times, his whole family was kidnapped once, his friends turned on him and were ready to murder him, he felt the shame of being an adulter and for murder, he had the knowledge of his own son raping his daughter Tamar, his other son Absalom murdered Amnon and lead a revolt against David and in the end his son Absalon was killed and yet when you look at 1 Samuel 30:6 David encouraged himself in the Lord. He found strength in all his troubles and pain, in the Lord. We can be encouraged by this verse and so many others in the Bible that in the turbulence that enters or lives there is strength that we can find in Jesus.

There are times we leave God completely out of the picture.We do this when we forget to praise Him, when we forget to pray to Him daily and when we don't go to church every week, where we can find edification and to whorship Him. When we lean on ourselves where do we find the strength? We are but weak vessels that need the strength only found in Jesus. I am often amazed to think that God uses us, a weak vessel, to bring ultimate Glory to Him. It is when He strengthens us through our trust in Him, then and then alone can we give Him all the Glory, not by our strength but by His strength.

1 Peter 5: 6-7 6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time;
7 casting all your worries on him, because he cares for you

James 4:8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you of two minds

If we really take a good look at it, God does not help those that help themselves, God helps those who put their trust with all their heart in Him and that dont lean on their own understanding.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

In times of trouble we need to look to God for our strength, Trust Him and remember to always praise Him, don't forget to communicate with Him through prayer. I know I fail Him in these areas so I am speaking to myself too. I have a quote that is one of my favorites.( I have 2 real favorites and this is one of them) It speaks to me about finding my strength in Him and drawing strength from Him.

"In times of trouble say,
First: He brought me here ; it is by His will I am in this strait place: In that I will rest.
Next: He will keep me here in His love, and give me grace in this trial to behave as His child.
Then: He will make the trial a blessing, teaching me the lessons He intends me to learn, and working in me the grace He means to bestow.
Last: In His good time He can bring me out again - how and when He knows. Say: I am here

(1) by God's appointment
(2) in His keeping
(3) under His training
(4) for His time."

- Andrew Murray

Let me encourage you to draw near each moment to our Lord Jesus Christ the one that Loves us most in spite of ourselves.

Cristina

1 comment:

Jeremy Weaver said...

Hello Cristina!

To get the links in your blogroll to work, move the /a tag that is enclosed wiht '<>' to the other side of the link title. Then close the url with a simple >.